1. OMG, I am actually in THE Kyoto Marathon. I am actually running my first marathon. In Japan.
2. 2km down. 40km more to go. I can do this!
3. 7:00 min pace. Hm. A little too fast. I should slow down even though I feel great. I am sure my legs will thank me later.
4. Why is everyone lapping me? You sprint now, dude with the long lanky legs. I'll see you at the 10km mark when you wear out.
5. It's getting kinda hot. I wanna take off my jacket but then...my bib is pinned to it. It's too much of a hassle to remove. Oh well, looks like I am stuck wearing this for the whole run.
6. First cut off point and I am about 10 minutes ahead of it. That mean the bus of shame is about a kilometer behind me. All this maths!
7. I like this weather. I don't feel like I am going to vomit my lungs out at all.
8. Time for my first gel. Fuel me up, my magic potion!!
9. 15 minutes ahead of the second cut off point. Did I just speed up?
10. Awwww, look at these nice Japanese people cheering us on. You don't see this back home.
11. Was that 10km? That wasn't too bad. 32km more to go.
12. I should high-five that old lady and that kid and that gentleman on the side. You get a high five, you get a high five. EVERYBODY GETS A HIGH FIVE!
13. I can really feel that gel kicking in. Woohoo!
14. Damn bunion, messing up my steps. I should lop it off!
15. But if I lop it off, I'll be out of any form of exercise for 6 months. Not worth it.
16. Here's the first U-turn section. Look at all those people on the other side of the road. I can't be that far behind...right?
17. Damn it's further than I thought. Where's that U-TURN???
18. Ooh look. A nice old man is giving out sweets. Would be rude to turn him down.
19. Nope, big mistake. Too chewy. I am spitting it out. Time to gel up anyway.
20. The Kamo river is really nice. And clean. So very clean.
21. A half marathon done! Another half to go!
22. 20km to go! Counting backwards sure helps. On to the next U-turn section!
23. Oh-uh, is that rain drops I feel? Luckily I got my trusty hoodie and gloves.
24. Oh it stopped. But damn that wind is cutting cold! Gloves on!
25. It's too hot now, gloves off.
26. What is that pain above my ankle? Is my compression pants cutting off the blood circulation to my feet? Omg, I might need to amputate it.
27. Let me adjust it...and try walking it off.
28. That helped a little. Back to running or jogging. Or crawling. Where's my gel?
29. Where and when is the next cut off point? Crap, I forgot.
30. Running on the river bank is so nice. I feel like I am running on clouds...
31. Was that guy serving coke? Should have grabbed one. Should I turn back? Oooh, wave for the camera!
32. Are we running next to the Kyoto Imperial Palace now? I remember cycling along this road before. No, wait. Wrong road.
33. I think I read somewhere that running a marathon is literally just a bunch of people physically torturing themselves while they count to 42km as slowly as humanly possible. Morons.
34. Wind. Gloves on!
35. Cut off point crossed with 20 minutes to spare! Hahahah! I am actually doing this.
36. Kyoto City Hall is just one giant U-turn. Bleh. Annnnnnd it's warm again. Gloves off!
37. I see the 6 hours pacers on the other side. Look at all those people glued to them. And look at all those people trailing behind them. Run people run or you'll get cut off!
38. Ah, coke. God bless your soul, random Japanese people giving out coke on the side of the road. I can feel my pace picking up! No, wait. That's just the wind blowing in my face. Where are my gloves...
39. Goddammit, the ankle pain is back and now it has joined forces with evil bunion to torment me. Is this an uphill...? Yes, it is.
40. Omg, are the sweeper cyclists tormenting that last runner? And why does the sweeper bus look like a funeral hearse? I bet that guy inside is reading out rest in peace rites.
41. 2km more to go, biatches!!
42. Let me take a picture with the distant marker here. 42km, biatches!
43. Oh right. A marathon is 42.195km. 195 meters to go.
44. Yay, I finished! First marathon ever! In Japan no less!
45. Fark shit crap, the pain the pain! Why do my legs hate me!??
46.....I might just do another one next year. In Japan.
For the proper more sane race recap of the Kyoto Marathon, click on this link.